Hey Girls. Since last Thursday was Thanksgiving, I thought I'd wait to post the binding instructions until this Thursday!
I'll just do one set of instructions for both quilts.
1. Gather your binding strips and stitch them together on the 2 1/4" ends.
2. Press your seams open to reduce bulk
3. Fold in half, wrong sides together, and press.
4. Starting approximately half way down one side of the quilt, stitch the binding using a 1/4' seam, and leave a tail 8" to 10" long hanging (so you have room to work when you connect the binding at the end).
then fold it straight back down
so you'll have an opening in your corner like this:
6. Pin corner, pin binding to side of quilt and stitch. Repeat as you work your way around the quilt. After you have finished the last corner, be sure to leave 6" to 8" unstitched, so you have room to work while attaching the two ends of your binding.
7. On my mini quilt, the binding matched up perfectly. On the lap size it needed to be trimmed. Lay the two ends of the binding over each other and clip at the 1/4" overlap as follows:
8. Stitch the two ends together using a 1/4" seam allowance. Press the seam open, press binding in half, and stitch to quilt.
9. Fold the binding over the quilt edge, and stitch the binding to the back of the quilt, using small stitches:
10. When you get to a corner, clip corner to reduce bulk, if necessary. Fold and pin one side of the binding down:
11. Fold the remaining edge over, to make a neat corner, and pin.
12. Stitch. Repeat as you work you way around the quilt!
Easy, peasy -- huh?
Alright, so next Thursday, we'll be doing the drawing for those who were able to finish their quilt tops (if you have it quilted, that's great, but not required to be in the drawing).
Up for grabs, we have two prizes from Quilt Market:
A "Martinique" Jelly Roll by 3 Sisters:
and a "Whimsy" Jelly Roll by Fig Tree Quilts:
So, be sure to post a comment here with the link to your post showing the photo of your finished top.
We'll do a parade showing off all of your pretty quilts, and announce the winners next Thursday, December 10.
Can't wait to see them all!